Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Mary the Dawn




Photo by Jeff Gardner

September 15, 2009, Our Lady of Sorrows Day - The Christian Prayer book suggests Mary the Dawn as a hymn today and I had never seen it before. Interesting lyrics:

Mary the Dawn, Christ the Perfect Day;
Mary the Gate, Christ the Heavenly Way!
Mary the Root, Christ the Mystic Vine;
Mary the Grape, Christ the Sacred Wine!
Mary the Wheat, Christ the Living-Bread;
Mary the Stem, Christ the Rose blood-red!
Mary the Font, Christ the Cleansing Flood;
Mary the Cup, Christ the Saving Blood!
Mary the Temple, Christ the temple's Lord;
Mary the Shrine, Christ the God adored!
Mary the Beacon, Christ the Haven's Rest;
Mary the Mirror, Christ the Vision Blest!
Mary the Mother, Christ the mother's Son
By all things blest while endless ages run. Amen.

If this were not in my morning prayer book I would be raising my eyebrows at the theology expressed by this song. I like it but the Lord will have to enlighten me on the "Mary the Grape" thing. When He does, I will let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment