Monday, June 30, 2014

I'm a Christian. You're a Catholic. You're not a Christian.

Conversation 1 
Non-Catholic Teen Eating Lunch in Catholic School Cafeteria (referring to the crucifix on the wall):  It's so weird and uncomfortable eating in the same room with a gory, dead body.
My daughter:  A cross without Jesus on it is just a tree.

You know how homeschool kids who want to go to public school always play the I-think-God-wants-me-to-be-a-witness-to-the-poor-lost-souls-at-the-public-school card?  I have always thought of that as probably bunk.

Now my daughter is not some perfect little saint-child but she does know her faith better than most and she loves a good . . . I won't say "fight". She loves a good discussion between herself and differently-minded others that sometimes involves conversational decibel levels rivaling incoming jet planes.

I am FLOORED by how many times she has been called on to defend her faith at the public high school since she started going there.

 Conversation 2
Catholic teen at social gathering discussing how all the kids in a protestant family are named after people from the Bible:  All the kids in my family are named after saints. 
Non-Catholic Neighborboy:  Our church doesn't have saints.  Only Catholics have saints.
My daughter:  Saints are just people who made it to heaven.

The LaCrosse Diocese is having a big training event coming up and in the publicity, it lists what the evangelization classes there will be doing.  It says they will be practicing answering questions like "Why do you wear a cross?" "Why do you bother going to Church every Sunday?"

This is a great idea!  We can gain some confidence from what we can answer and be compelled, hopefully, to study up in areas where our responses are weak.  How can we work this into our regular Church catechesis?  Here's one for you to try.

Conversation 3 
Neighborboy again:  I'm a Christian.  You're a Catholic.  You're not a Christian.
You: ____________________________________________________________








No comments:

Post a Comment