Saturday, April 4, 2009

Easter before Easter

So I was driving along today and saw an Easter banner hanging in front of a house and my gut reaction was "ugh". I mean tomorrow is Palm Sunday and we have to kill Jesus off before we can be happy he came back, you know. Same thing goes with Christmas songs. We should all sing "so glad the baby is born songs" to women who are still anticipating the pains of labor.

As a convert to Catholicism I have found the hardest thing is not obedience, not all the birth control stuff . . . the hardest darn thing is not singing Christmas carols in church during Advent. Then when it is finally liturgically "cool" to sing them the rest of the world has moved on and doesn't want to hear it anymore.

2 comments:

  1. This heinous practice is most obvious in Louisiana (and southern Mississippi too) when the stores are BEGGING you to buy King Cakes out of season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. King Cake season is technically Epiphany through Fat Tuesday (the day before Ash Wednesday) I believe. Correct me if I am wrong.

    Thanks for pointing this out, John.

    ReplyDelete